Tiffani & Katie made these tasty dog treats for Valentines Day! Here’s the recipe so you can make some for that special pooch in your heart, or come by the clinic this weekend and bring some home for that lucky dog!
Banana and Honey Dog Treats
- Original recipe makes 7 dozen dog treats
- 2 cups water
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Combine water, mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl.
- Stir in whole-wheat flour and baking powder.
- Beat dough with an electric mixer on medium speed until ingredients are thoroughly combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until no longer sticky, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into mini shapes with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Place dough shapes on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until cookies are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave cookies until thoroughly dry and crisp, 30 to 40 more minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven and allow cookies to cool on pans for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to fully cool.
Super Simple Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Original recipe makes 32 servings
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prick sweet potato several times with a fork.
- Heat sweet potato in a microwave on high until tender, about 6 minutes. Cut potato in half and scoop flesh out of the skin into a bowl; discard skin. Mash potato with a fork or potato masher and transfer about 1 cup to a large bowl. Save any remaining sweet potato for another use.
- Mix whole wheat flour, applesauce, and eggs in the large bowl with the sweet potato until a dough forms. Turn dough out on a well-floured surface and roll dough to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter or cut dough into strips with a pizza cutter. Arrange cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until crisp, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Dog Treat Frosting Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese (low or fat free)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt (low or fat free)
- flour (see note)Note: You will need approximately 3 Tbsp. of flour. You can use any type of flour for this recipe. Keep in mind that if you use wheat flour (or another type of flour with specs of color) it may affect the end color of the icing.
- Mix first three ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Mix in one tablespoon of flour at a time until you have a good consistency for spreading.
Recipes from dogtreatkitchen.com & allrecipes.com